Recommended TextbooksBelow is a list of the standard textbooks for undergrad students of science major. To understand the front-runner science of the origin of the Universe, life and consciousness, at least, these levels of knowledge appear to be important and necessary in the four areas below:
- Author : Douglas C. Giancoli
- 4th edition
- This is the current text book at UCLA for life science major.
- It includes significant amounts of biology and medical application.
(2) Astronomy Today
- Authors : Eric Chaisson, Steve McMillan
- 7th edition
- This is the best textbook of Astronomy which is used at UCLA.
- Towards the end, it includes modern cosmology extensively which is very useful.
(3) Campbell Biology
- Authors : Jane B. Reece, Lisa A. Urry, Michael L. Cain, Steven A. Wasserman, Peter V. Minorsky, Robert B. Jackson
- 9th edition
- This is the standard text book for biology, with full of illustration and concise description of modern biology.
- Authors : Albert Lehninger, David L. Nelson, Michael M. Cox
- 5th edition
- This is the standard book for biochemistry, necessary to understand the origin and evolution of life.
- Authors : Mark F. Bear, Barry W. Connors, Michael A. Paradiso
- 3rd edition
- This is the best textbook of neuroscience. No prior knowledge of science is required.
Recommended Textbooks for Physics MajorsBelow is the list of the standard textbooks for physics majors. These are the textbooks which I have learned most of physics, and I have been using in my teaching, both for undergrad and grad students. The titles of the books are linked to Amazon.com for your convenience.
- Author : Richard P. Feynman, Robert B. Leighton, Matthew Sands
- Boxed set: The New Millennium Edition
- This is the famous textbook at Caltech for physics majors. (I learned the essence of physics from this textbook as an undergrad.)
- Author : David Griffiths
- 2nd edition
- This is the best textbook for undergrad physics major to learn particle physics. It has been used at UCLA for many years.
- Author : Francis Halzen, Alan D. Martin
- 1st edition (1984)
- This is the best textbook for grad students of physics major to learn the Standard Model of particle physics.
- Author : Lars Bergström, Ariel Goobar
- 2nd edition (2006)
- This is the standard textbook for grad students of physics major to learn the modern cosmology with the latest developments.
Next Page > Popular Books